Healthcare Providers Conference Steering Committee – Meet the Team
Dr. Michael T. Kelly MD, PhD, FRCPC
Medical Microbiologist – Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics
Dr Kelly has MD/PhD with specialty certification in medical microbiology from the Royal College in Canada and the American Board of Pathology in the US. Prior to joining LifeLabs, Dr. Kelly was a professor at University of Texas and UBC. He has been with LifeLabs for 31 years as Clinical Director of Microbiology and/or BC Medical Director at LifeLabs.
- 100+ publications, 5 patents and 1 trademark.
- Started molecular diagnostics in BC LifeLabs nearly 20 years ago that grew to be one of the largest volume molecular diagnostics labs doing clinical testing in Canada.
- Currently active in BC Lab Agency Committees plus other BC and US organizations.
Dr. Miguel Imperial MSc, MD, FRCPC
Medical Microbiologist – BC Clinical Director
Dr. Imperial is a graduate of UBC, having completed his BSc, MHSc, MD and specialty training in Medical Microbiology there. He did additional training in Tropical Medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland. Prior to coming to LifeLabs, Dr. Imperial worked as a Medical Microbiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control and at BC Biomedical Labs. He also worked as a Hospitalist in Eagle Ridge Hospital. He continues to be involved in tropical and travel medicine clinical consultations and in teaching at the UBC medical school. He is committed to improving the interface between clinical infectious diseases and the diagnostic microbiology laboratory..
Dr. William Schreiber MD
BC Clinical Director Chemistry
Dr. William E. Schreiber is the Clinical Director for Chemistry, BC. In this role, he provides medical oversight for all chemistry testing in British Columbia. Before joining LifeLabs, he worked in the Division of Clinical Chemistry at Vancouver General Hospital. He also served as medical director of the Provincial Toxicology Center, which provides both forensic and clinical toxicology services for the entire province.
- UBC: committed a large part of his career to the education of medical students, residents and colleagues; directed medical biochemistry residency program for ten years and served as associate dean for undergraduate education from 1999-2002.
- 2016: President of the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Served on the editorial board of Lab Tests Online (labtestsonline.org) and continues to review for the American Journal of Clinical Pathology.
Dr. Diana Whellams MPH, MD, FRCPC
Dr. Whellams completed a Master’s degree in Public Health at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver in 2009. She subsequently pursued her MD and residency training in medical microbiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. Dr. Whellams joined LifeLabs in the summer of 2017. She has interests in quality assurance and education.
Sangeeta Hussain joined LifeLabs in April of 2017. Prior to joining LifeLabs, her career included Executive Assistant to Leader of Opposition at Parliament of Fiji, Embassy of the Republic of Korea, BC Cancer Agency, Office Manager at Sydney, Australia Nursing Home and Administrative Support during the initial implementation of Agency for Pathology of Medicine.