Physicians’ Lab Update
Our Hematology Department is pleased to announce the availability of two new Complete Blood Count indices:
1)Immature Platelet Fraction (IPF)
- IPF may also be referred to in the literature as reticulated platelets.
- This population of platelets represents the youngest circulating platelets.
- IPF provides an estimate of thrombopoiesis in the same way as reticulocyte count is a measure of erythropoiesis.
- It is part of accepted hematological practice and provides useful clinical information for the investigation and monitoring of platelet production in various thrombocytopenic conditions.
- The clinical utility of this parameter was established in the laboratory diagnosis of thrombocytopenia due to increased peripheral platelet destruction, particularly autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura.
- It is also used for monitoring platelet recovery after chemotherapy and stem cell transplants, and timing for prophylactic platelet transfusion.
Dr. Ekram Zayed, Head: Hematopathology