Arrival testing at the airport
How this works
1. Register for on-arrival testing
There are two options for registering:
- On your personal device before or after arriving at the airport.
- In-person upon arrival at the LifeLabs registration desk.
Please sign in or create an account in the FlyClear™ portal using the button below to begin the process!
- As of November 21, 2020, international travellers are required to use the ArriveCAN app to submit a quarantine plan and contact info before departing for Canada.
- As of January 7, 2021, international travellers are also required to complete a COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to departure for Canada and show proof of negative test results before boarding the plane.
2. Complete your test at the airport
- After exiting the customs hall and gathering your luggage, proceed to the testing area in the airport.
If you have already registered online, proceed to the ‘Pre-registered’ line and prepare to show your FlyClear registration ID and passport / Nexus card. If you have not registered in advance, proceed to the ‘Test Registration’ line or use your phone to register for the test.
Our staff will provide you a test requisition linked with your FlyClear™ ID.
With guidance from onsite staff, proceed to the arrivals test booth at the testing area.
Your sample will be collected and linked with your FlyClear registration.
3. Obtain Results
You will receive a results notification email containing a secure link to your results. Click on the button below to view and download your results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, every passenger flying into Canada who is required to complete testing needs to register for testing on arrival. Advance registration is strongly encouraged as it avoids the general registration line-ups at the airport and can be done online or on your personal mobile device. Parents should register eligible accompanying children separately, as each passenger requires registration. Passengers who do not register in advance can register when they arrive at Vancouver International Airport or Toronto Pearson International Airport
To learn more about the Government of Canada requirements for On-Arrival testing please click here
Yes, you can add orders for all your family members under one FlyClearTM MyCareCompass.
Please follow the steps listed below:
- Click here to sign-in to your FlyClearTM MyCareCompass account.
- Click on Add Order on the top right corner in portal.
- Follow the steps to complete registration. You MUST enter the same email ID that you used for creating a FlyClearTM MyCareCompass account. If you use an alternate email ID, you will not be able to access your results.
- After completing registration, click on View Details to download requisitions or results.
Note: You will need to complete the screening and ordering process individually for each traveller who requires testing.
Prior to your arrival, please register here and make note of your password and registration ID. You will receive your results via the email you provided at the time of registration. You will be alerted via e-mail when your results are ready to view and download.
Please note: you will need your password to access your results. It is very important to keep this password somewhere safe.
Test results will also be reported into provincial health authorities and Public Health Agency of Canada. Public health may or may not follow up on all positive tests.
If you pre-registered for on-arrival covid-19 testing with LifeLabs:
Visit LifeLabs.com/arrivaltest to sign in to the FlyClear™ MyCareCompass portal (MCC) to access your order details and to download your results.
If you were registered by LifeLabs staff at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) or Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ):
- If you already have an account in FlyClear™ MyCareCompass portal (MCC), you will receive an email from email@example.com to verify your email ID provided at the time of registration. Without email verification, you will NOT be able to access your results.
- If you DO NOT have an account, you are required to create an account in FlyClear™ MyCareCompass portal (MCC) by following the steps listed below.
- Visit LifeLabs.com/arrivaltest to create an account.
- Complete account creation and check your inbox for a “no-reply” email from firstname.lastname@example.org. You MUST follow the link within the email to activate your account.
- You will receive a second email from email@example.com to verify your email ID. You MUST complete email verification to access your results.
- After completing the above steps, please sign in to the portal to view your results when available.
A negative test usually means you don’t have COVID-19. However, the accuracy of a test can vary depending on when your sample is taken during the course of your illness. If you’re tested too soon after you were exposed to COVID-19, there may not be enough virus in your body for an accurate result. If this is the case at the time of the test, your test may come back negative, even if you actually have the virus. This would be considered a ‘false negative’ test.
The ability of molecular tests to correctly identify those who truly are infected with the virus is linked to the amount of virus or viral load within the person being tested. Current tests cannot identify individuals that have been exposed the instant they have come into contact with the virus. These individuals could be incubating the virus but not to the point that a test would be positive. That means that even if they receive a negative test result there is still a risk that they could go on and transmit the virus to others once the infection proceeds further. The testing frequency has been designed to ensure that infection in individuals who may be in the early stages prior to/upon arrival to Canada is detected.
To learn more about these requirements, please visit https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/
LifeLabs is only responsible for COVID-19 testing for travellers arriving in Canada via British Columbia, Ontario, Saskatchewan, or the Yukon. You can reach the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-784-4397 for all information regarding quarantine, testing requirements, hotels, ArriveCAN, fully vaccinated travellers, and exemptions.
Hours of operation are from 7 am to midnight ET. Interpretation services are available in 200+ languages.
To learn more about these requirements, please visit https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/
To learn more about these requirements, please visit https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#new-testing
Please visit https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers to learn more about the testing locations in Vancouver International Airport
You will receive an email with a secure link to access your test results via the email you provided at the time of registration. You will be alerted via e-mail when your results are ready to access and download. Test results will typically be provided within 48 hours.
Please note: You will need your password to access your results. It is very important to take note of this password for ease of viewing and downloading results.
If your COVID-19 test result is positive AND your COVID testing is part of the Federal Government entry into Canada program you must comply with Federal quarantine requirements and:
- For BC Residents or for those whose final destination is BC: Please go to www.bccdc.ca/ifyouhavecovid to find directions on what to do next. Your local public health authority may or may not contact you.
- For residents of all other provinces and territories or those whose final destination is elsewhere in Canada please visit your provincial Ministry of Health website for further information.
LifeLabs runs several different molecular COVID-19 testing technologies. The COVID-19 swab test is a polymerase chain reaction (PCR)/nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), which tells you if you have COVID-19 at the time of the test. All the technologies LifeLabs runs are equivalent to the RT-PCR method.
Both tests and equipment are approved by Health Canada. On-arrival COVID-19 testing at participating airports will be administered with the oversight of a healthcare professional, trained in specimen collection and handling, and infection prevention. LifeLabs’ on-site staff will provide step-by-step guidance to ensure accuracy of results.
FlyClear On-Arrival testing uses a buccal bilateral anterior nasal swab. The swab first goes between the lower gums and is rotated 3 times, this is then repeated on the other side of the mouth. It then goes 1-1.5cm into the nasal cavity, the staff swirls the swab for 15 seconds and then performs the same procedure on the second nasal cavity.
At LifeLabs, we are committed to maintaining high standards of privacy, confidentiality and data security including the personal health information of our patients. This is fundamental to achieving our goal in providing enhanced patient care. LifeLabs has robust privacy policies, procedures and training that are in compliance with applicable privacy laws. We will only collect, use and disclose your personal information lawfully and responsibly in order to provide our services to you. Further information about LifeLabs Privacy can be found at https://lifelabs.com/privacy-policy/
While much of our testing is performed within BC and Ontario, in certain circumstances, LifeLabs does work with reference laboratories in the US to perform some COVID testing services. When we do so, LifeLabs ensures that the laboratories comply with privacy requirements that are at least as stringent as the requirements with which LifeLabs complies. These requirements apply when the laboratory collects, uses or discloses personal information or personal health information and include administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect such information, and requirements on training and breach notification. Further, LifeLabs enters into a contract with the reference laboratory that includes requirements such as compliance with applicable laws and regulatory requirements and all applicable laboratory accreditation requirements.
General Inquiries 1-877-313-4982
Monday to Sunday 24/7
Monday to Sunday 9am-5pm PST