Our next chemistry analyzer update is taking place at our Burnaby Reference Laboratory between November 26 and 28, 2022, where we will be extending the track and adding an Abbott Alinity analyzer line for chemistry testing. The testing performed on these analyzers includes clinical chemistry, immunoassays, and infectious disease (serology) assays.
This update will take place in a staggered approach. During this work, our patient service centres will remain open, however, please note there will be delays up to 24 to 36 hours in the turnaround time of test results during the downtime to complete this work. In addition, during set hours, we will be unable to process certain tests:
Sunday November 27, 2022
- NO STAT requests. Any patients with STAT requisitions will be redirected to the hospital
- NO PTT collections
- NO Fibrinogen collections
- NO CBCs (after 12 pm PT)
- If the patient has therapy the next day (i.e. chemo, transplant), we will redirect them to the hospital.
- If the patient has an urgent standing order, we will redirect them to the hospital.
Monday, November 28, 2022
- We will be unable to collect drug screens until 9:00am on the Monday. After 9:00am, we will be able to resume normal operations.
To avoid any delays to your patients’ treatments, please refer any urgent and time-sensitive tests, such as tests for cancer care or transplant treatments, to your local hospital lab during this time period.
For any clinical or technical questions regarding this change please contact the following LifeLabs biochemists:
William E. Schreiber MD
Clinical Director of Chemistry, Burnaby, BC
Joanna Jung PhD
Clinical Biochemist, Victoria, BC
Romina Reyes MSc MD FRCPC
BC Medical Director