Your health and safety is our top priority. Throughout this pandemic, we at LifeLabs had to make adjustments similar to many other health care organizations in order to respond to the challenges presented by COVID-19; and while some adjustments have been made in how we serve you, our commitment to providing safe, caring, and accessible diagnostic lab testing to Canadians remains unshaken.
We have made a few changes at our collection sites in order to safely and efficiently serve you. The following below outlines some of those changes along with what you can expect during your next visit with us, and how you can prepare for it.
Planning & preparing for your next visit
Step 1: View our safety plan here to learn how we’re keeping you and our employees safe during this pandemic.
Step 2: Plan ahead by booking an appointment online.
To help reduce lineups and wait times, we are asking customers to book appointments in advanced online. To accommodate this, we have significantly increased number of available appointment slots at our locations.
Some tips for booking appointments:
- While mornings may be preferable to some, there are often appointment slots available at many locations during the mid-day hours.
- If you are booking an appointment with your doctor, and anticipate you will also need a test, we encourage you to book an appointment at LifeLabs in advanced when you book an appointment with your doctor’s office.
- If you are unfamiliar with our appointment booking platform online, you can ask a family member to book an appointment online on your behalf.
- A note for LifeLabs Genetics customers (i.e. Panorama NIPT prenatal patients): Please contact our Genetics Helpline at 1-844-GENEHELP (1-844-262-4357) if you require urgent or time-sensitive testing, such as the Panorama NIPT Prenatal test, and are unable to book an appointment within the next two business days.
If you are booking an appointment for yourself:
- Visit lifelabs.com, and click ‘Book Appointment’ in the top menu.
- Select your province, then click ‘Book Appointment’. Search for the location nearest you and click book appointment on your chosen location.
- Click ‘Next’ after reading appointment instructions.
- Then select the available date and time convenient for you, click ‘Next’.
- You’re then booked!
If you are booking an appointment on behalf of a family member:
- Visit lifelabs.com, click ‘Location Finder’, OR, visit myresults.lifelabs.com and click ‘Location Finder’
- Find your location, then click ‘Book Appointment’. Then click ‘Next’ after reading appointment instructions.
- Select the available data and time they want to book, click ‘Next’ again.
- You can either log into your existing account, or create a new one on behalf of them. Once all the information is confirmed, you can enter their name for the appointment. Then simply confirm the appointment!
Step 3: Have your requisition ready for your appointment.
You can either bring a printed copy with you, or email your electronic requisition to the dedicated email address based on your province within 24 hours of arriving for your appointment:
Please ensure you include your legal first name and last name as the subject line.
Your health care provider can also email LifeLabs your requisition:
We are asking health care providers to email a PDF copy of the requisition to the dedicated email address:
*Health care providers are encouraged to visit our Health Care Providers page for more information on sending requisitions.
Step 4: Have your face mask ready to take with you.
We ask that you please wear a mask at all of our locations. In alignment with Public Health Agency of Canada, exemptions for face masks include:
- If you have a medical condition such as respiratory issues
- If you are physically unable to put on and remove your mask
If you have an exemption, we are happy to support your journey through an accommodated process. Please advise your receptionist upon your visit.
Step 5: Please arrive on time for your appointment, but do not arrive earlier than 5 min before your appointment to help reduce volume and support physical distancing in our facilities.
Please be advised that customer volume may impact our collection centres’ ability to maintain physical distancing at all times. To support our safety measures, we ask customers who are able to wait outside the facility or in their car after they have been checked in by a staff member.
Click here for more information on how to prepare for a test
When you arrive
Sanitize your hands & wear a mask
When you arrive, please sanitize your hands and wear a mask while in our facility and/or while standing in line to help ensure your safety and the safety of others around you, especially in situations where physical distancing isn’t always possible.
Advanced registration with our greeter
Many of our locations will have a staff member assigned to greet you and help ensure your visit goes smoothly. Upon arrival, our greeter will register you and ensure you are in the queue, as well as:
- Ask COVID-19 screening questions
- Confirm appointments & Save My Spot users
- Confirm requisitions (if your requisition was emailed or if you have a hard copy)
- Manage space in waiting rooms
We are screening anyone who visits our patient service centres. Upon arrival, you will be asked a few questions to determine if you screen positive for COVID-19. Even if you screen positive, you will still be served, but given a mask to wear if you do not have one, isolated from others, and processed at an accelerated rate.
Our greeters will ask you the following questions:
- Have you had a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache or difficulty breathing in the past 14 days?
- Have you had contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
- Have you been recently instructed to self-isolate/quarantine by local public health authorities due to travel or contact history?
- Did you or your physician email or fax in your requisition?
While physical distancing requirements have been removed in alignment with Public Health recommendations, we encourage customers to respect the comfort levels of others who may prefer to exercise additional caution.
Proper sanitation always remains one of our top priorities to ensure everyone’s health and safety. We’re asking all customers to sanitize their hands upon arrival, but we also have many cleaning measures in place such as:
- Decontaminating rooms and equipment immediately after servicing a customer.
- Regular cleaning of any surface that is frequently touched by customers (i.e. door handles, coat hangers).
- Decontaminating washrooms immediately after it is used by a customer that screens positive for COVID-19.
Spread kindness, not COVID-19
Over the last several months we have seen the prevailing spirit of kindness, compassion, and community as we all deal with the unprecedented nature of COVID-19; however, recently, we have been troubled by an increasing number of physical, verbal, and racial attacks on our frontline employees.
At LifeLabs, we have zero-tolerance for aggressive or disrespectful behaviour, harassment or discrimination of any kind. Our employees are held to this standard and expected to treat everyone with respect, kindness and understanding. We ask that you treat us in the same way. After all, we are all in this together, so in the words of Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C, Chief Public Health Officer: “Please Be Kind, Be Calm, and Be Safe.”