Privacy Statement for LifeLabs
At LifeLabs, protecting the privacy and security of personal information is essential and is fundamental to our values and to the way we do business.
LifeLabs currently has privacy policies and practices in place that meet the requirements of all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Privacy legislation – including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) in Canada and the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) in Ontario – requires organizations to have such policies, practices and programs in place that demonstrate the strong, commonly accepted privacy standard that the public expects. These laws are based on ten internationally recognized principles. LifeLabs incorporates these principles into our business practices:
- Accountability: We are all accountable to protect the privacy of personal information. LifeLabs has designated Privacy Officers for each of our Provincial locations. These Officers will assist the organization in incorporating the principles and complying with the privacy laws that apply to us. The Privacy Officers are available to answer questions about the application of privacy laws to individual situations as well as to receive concerns or questions about compliance. LifeLabs trains its employees to follow written privacy policies and operational procedures, and also performs ongoing reviews of our privacy practices.
- Identifying Purposes: LifeLabs identifies the purposes for which it collects, uses and discloses personal information at or before the time it is collected from an individual.
- Consent: LifeLabs obtains an individual’s consent before we collect, use or disclose personal information. There are some situations where LifeLabs uses implied consent (for example, when LifeLabs provides services at the request of a healthcare practitioner).
- Limiting Collection: LifeLabs collects only the personal information that we need in order to provide services and manage the business. Information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: LifeLabs uses or discloses personal information only for purposes identified or with the consent of the individual or as required by law. LifeLabs retains it only as long as necessary.
- Accuracy: LifeLabs collects and maintains personal information that is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as possible to be used for the identified purposes.
- Safeguards: LifeLabs has appropriate security, physical and administrative safeguards in place to protect personal information.
- Openness: LifeLabs maintains and communicates clearly defined procedures for informing individuals about our privacy policies and practices.
- Individual Access: Upon written request, LifeLabs informs individuals of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information. When appropriate, LifeLabs provides access to that information and allows the individual to question its accuracy and completeness.
- Challenging Compliance: Individuals may direct concerns regarding LifeLabs’ compliance with these principles to the local Privacy Office. All concerns will be investigated and the results communicated.
LifeLabs remains firmly committed to maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information in our care.
For further information regarding the privacy program at LifeLabs, please contact the Privacy Office in your local LifeLabs office location, or contact:
Vice President, Legal, LifeLabs
Phone: (416) 675-4530 ext. 4688
Fax: (416) 213-4668