LifeLabs specializes in the diagnostic needs of British Columbia’s outpatients by providing province-wide access to a full range of laboratory testing and information services.
Our testing and information services help physicians diagnose, treat and monitor their patients; our services also help ensure the continuity of patient-centred care and support the increasing complexity of that care as it moves from institution to community.
With full service reference laboratories in Burnaby and Victoria BC, patient service centres in communities around the province and an extensive communication and distribution network, we support seamless service to physicians and patients -- regardless of whether they’re in an urban or rural community.
At a glance:
· access to lab services through 80 patient service centres across the province
· full range of testing and information services to support community-based patient care
· all LifeLabs locations linked by a complex transportation and information technology network.
· leaders in lab medicine for almost 50 years
· 850 highly skilled employees
· 10,000 patient-visits a day
· 40,000 tests performed every day
· several hundred tests, from routine to specialty diagnostics
Our service continuum starts in the community….
Community-based physicians refer their patients one of our 80 patient service centres, where we collect specimens for testing. Our patient service centres are designed around privacy, confidentiality and comfort; our hours of operation and scope of services are customized to each community’s needs.
In the community, we provide:
· a full range of collection services, including those for tests performed at other agencies
· access to specialty diagnostics and esoteric testing provided by other North American labs
· patient collection instructions in several languages
· ECGs at most of our patient service centres; Holter monitoring at selected sites
· wheelchair accessibility
· skilled, compassionate, professional staff
· privacy and confidentiality
· transport of thousands of specimens from doctors’ offices and clinics for testing at our lab, public agencies and hospitals -- at no charge to the agencies, hospitals or health care system.
· mobile lab service to more than than 400 homebound patients a day – also at no charge to patients or the health care system. This vital service supports many BC hospitals’ early discharge programs.
….moves to our reference laboratories for testing
The specimens we collect in the community are tested at our testing facilities around the province and at our two full-service reference laboratories – one in Burnaby and one in Victoria.
We provide a comprehensive menu of routine and specialized tests. We also take full advantage of emerging technologies such as molecular diagnostics, providing doctors with faster, more specific and more sensitive information to help manage their patients’ care.
· our test menu encompasses the breadth of diagnostics fundamental to community-based patient care; for some tests, we are the referral centre for the province
· several levels of priority testing, including STAT services
· all testing is performed by medical technologists under the direction of laboratory physicians and scientists
· our laboratory physicians and scientists provide 24-hour a day consultation
· testing for clinical trials, special studies, pre-employment and drugs of abuse
….and continues with the delivery of the information physicians need to help diagnose, treat and monitor their patients.
Physicians can choose from a variety of result delivery options, but most prefer to receive their patient reports through Excelleris, a secure web-based electronic system that gives authorized health care providers 24-hour access to diagnostic information including historical and cumulative results.
Our divisions and partners include:
LifeLabs is always looking for exceptional talent. If you would like to join our team, review the global postings, complete an on-line application form, or submit a resume please visit the careers section on our website.